Friday, September 18, 2009

Welcome to Thailand

Hello (insert name), or should I say "Sa-wat-dee". It's strange to think that just over a week ago I was preparing myself for the thirty-some hours of travel I had later that day. The flights turned out to be relatively painless and Nick and I were able to meet our ride and board a bus north to Singburi province with little difficulty. Apart from the deep sadness I felt when reading about the Buckeye loss (I don't know if thats something we're allowed to talk about but sorry to bring it up for those of you who've already moved on) in the Bangkok airport, I'd say the trip went better than expected.

I am currently residing in whats referred to as an "eco-house" (I'm not exactly sure how it differs from a hostel?) about 5 or 6 miles outside the city of Singburi with about 20 other backpackers representing a variety of Western European countries. We all get along swimmingly and share the same schedule for the first two weeks, meaning that we do the same daily activities/trips during this time before parting ways. Nick and I share a room with an Irish fellow named Chris (one of 4 Chris's in the group) who is traveling with his wife, but not allowed to stay in the same room as her (something which both Nick and I are silently happy about because he could legitimately be the nicest person on the planet).

Days here are long and action packed. We wrapped up our first week (intro week) which consisted mostly of visiting various temples and looking at some of the ancient ruins around the area. We also got to visit and practice teaching English in a Thai classroom. This past weekend, a few of us from the group traveled to Erawan National Park and hiked around for a day before returning to our 'home' on Sunday. Be sure to look at the pictures from the first week (assuming I uploaded them properly).

The trips been a huge success thus far but I do miss all of you. I'll try and make ensuing posts a little more frequent and a little more interesting too... I'm new to the whole blogging thing if you can't tell.

Best for now,

H

No comments:

Post a Comment